I’ll be honest. I don’t like actual fried egg rolls. (I know, who am I?!) Maybe it’s that my stomach doesn’t tolerate deep-fried foods. I find I like the dipping sauce more than the actual roll itself. HA!! But, I recently bought a head of cabbage and wanted to put it to good use. Why did I buy cabbage? I have NO idea — it popped up in my Instacart suggestions and I decided we needed to switch up our vegetable selection, so I went for it. Lol!
So, I searched for recipes to use the cabbage...
Egg roll in a bowl.
It sounded fantastic albeit a little bland... so, I decided to spice it up a bit! I shared it in my stories and had so many people asking for the recipe, I decided to share it. Also, it’s absolutely delicious… a must-have!
Now, the only question is — what to do with the 2nd half of the cabbage?...
- 1 lb ground turkey (we did 99% lean)
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ head of cabbage
- 1 medium sweet onion, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½-1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s liquid amino (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper ( approx. ½ teaspoon each)
- Optional: Sriracha and/or Spicy chili garlic sauce, extra Braggs and/or coconut aminos if desired, & fresh chopped green onions for garnish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey meat and cook until browned.
- Add onion, bell pepper, & mushrooms and continue cooking until lightly browned.
- Add Bragg’s and/or coconut aminos, garlic powder, chili pepper, ginger, and black pepper and stir well.
- Once combined, add ½ cup broth.
- In a separate skillet, use approximately ½ cup of chicken stock to cook cabbage (you can do this all in one pan and add above if your pan is large enough, I just didn’t have room!)
- Cook, stirring frequently until the cabbage is tender.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, Sriracha, chili sauce, and ENJOY!